Friends of St. Michael’s Girls Primary School Busembatia Uganda
The Okwasa Project - Outreach
Okwasa - To light a fire (Lugandan)
Our charity was formed to specifically support St. Michael’s school. As it has developed and grown we have become more and more aware of the real poverty in the village. Many of our day girls come to school with no exercise books or pencils – some do not wear pants.
We are now listening to the villagers and speaking to the village leaders to see if we can help - whether it is training or facilitating the start up of income generating ventures.
We are calling our Outreach Work in the Community - The Okwasa Project -
- The first villagers we supported were Stephen and Erina. They wanted to start an oxen and plough business, hiring out their oxen team to plough the land of other villagers. We gave them a three year interest free loan - This loan has now been repaid and they have a thriving business.
- We have put internet in the Church Office with good wifi range…. unlimited data. Villagers can now access the internet for free.
- Very needy children from the village who have done well in the Primary Leavers Exams are being educated at Bishop Willigers Secondary School. We also pay for uniforms, shoes, sanitary pads and other school requirements .
- A villager is being trained in book keeping so we can then help her to open a shop at her home near a busy borehole.
- 10 Orphans are being fully funded through Secondary School and Vocational Training.
We are working with James and Veronica who are cultivating 2 acres of land to supply Dried Moringa Leaf Powder to the school.
Moringa is called the Miracle Tree and is very nutritious, and will supplement and improve the carbohydrate diet of the girls.
- We are buying pots from the Babone Women’s Group - a craft group in the village- There are no tourists in this area of Uganda and therefore no market for their beautiful pots. We buy them at the price that we can sell them for in the UK - which means a fair price for the pot + extra so that they can diversify and develop other business ideas. Please get in touch if you would like one of these lovely pots by sending us a message on our Contact Page.
Prices range from £7 - £12 depending on size.
© 2018 | Friends of St Michaels Uganda